Christmas is nearly here! We have a break from work to look forward to and quality time to spend with friends and family.
Osteopathy tips to lessen back pain this Christmas
To make the season as stress free and ultimately pain free as possible, try these simple steps.
- Ask for help when you need it. Don’t take on every task. Rope in family and friends to help out in the run up and on the day. It is all about everyone enjoying themselves after all.
- Plan ahead and make time in that plan for You too. Even if it is just 10 minutes out where you can go for a quick walk or take time to breathe.
- Carry less. Do you need to take everything in that handbag? Are you really going to need all of bottles for one day? Now is the time to clear out the handbag and the excess travel items. Lessen the loading on your neck, shoulders and back.
- Wrapping Presents. Most adults tend not to feel comfortable wrapping presents on the floor in a twisted, flexed posture. This is largely a result of us not doing it often and tending to be more ‘chair based’. Why not therefore wrap the presents at the kitchen table or use the ironing board to wrap the presents on. Better still, get the kids to wrap gifts for other family members. A perfect creative time for them to add stickers and messages making it more personal to the recipient too.
- Sit less. Over the days of Christmas, many of us will become less active. Make time to go out and enjoy nature. Fresh air is good for body and mind. We live in a beautiful part of the world, so make the most of it. Get the bikes out, the new scooters or simply use the legs.
- Travel. When packing up the car, consider putting lighter gifts and goods towards the front of the boot and the heavier items towards the back so there is less need to reach in whilst holding weight. Consider what you pack and if you really need it too. Invest in lightweight carry cases with wheels to make it as easy as possible. Break up longer journeys and keep mobile and warm whilst in the car.
- Laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. Make time to have fun. Dance around. Sing. Play silly games and unleash the child within. Life is too full of ‘adultness’ that allowing the inner child to surface once in a while is the perfect medicine to lighten any day. Christmas is the perfect time to do this.
- Any niggles you have, get them checked out before they become more than a niggle. Winter time is perfect for an MOT appointment with an osteopath. They can help assess how your body is functioning and loosen any areas that are stiff or restricted.
Our experienced osteopaths Worthing
At Broadwater Osteopaths we have a team of 7 Osteopaths. Our 3 lead osteopaths have over 70 years of experience and knowledge dealing with back pain and the wide range of conditions our patients present with. The practice has been established in town for over 30 years and is one of the longest and largest established practices locally. Find out more about the team here.