Headache remedies- 7 possible solutions
- Hydrate- drink more water. Dehydration and excess caffeine intake are common reasons for headaches. Try to increase your water intake and steer clear of caffeinated drinks.
- Acupuncture-an expert analysis, known as a Cochrane review, found acupuncture could help prevent acute migraines as well as drug treatments do and with fewer adverse side effects.
- Massage-may assist relaxation and reduce tension, help enhance wellbeing and can reduce neck tension which maybe a root cause of the headache.
- Stretching exercises-Headache-relieving stretches can get at muscle tension that contributes to pain. Add them to your workout or use them when a headache looms. Ask your osteopath or massage therapist for advice on which ones could suit you.
- Meditation-various meditation techniques can be used to focus attention and quiet the mind from distractions such as chronic pain. This can be useful in dealing with the pain of headaches and lessening the effects of stress and chronic tension. Search for a local meditation group or visualisation group near you.
- Exercise-regular aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, biking, or swimming, can reduce migraine intensity and frequency, according to the National Pain Foundation. Try to increase your level of aerobic exercise slowly over time and monitor the results. Different forms of exercise may have different benefits on each individual.
- Osteopathy and other physical therapies may assist by lessening the tension on the muscles and joints of the neck and shoulders. If the cause of the headache is tension or neck related, this may assist to lessen your symptoms. Speak to an osteopath for further advice.
Headache help with Osteopathy Worthing
At Broadwater Osteopaths in Worthing, many of our patients benefit from osteopathy or acupuncture or a combination of both to help manage and treat their headaches. The initial step in any treatment is to understand the patient and their headache picture and to be assured the headache is suitable for our treatments. This involves a thorough assessment by our osteopaths initially, including medical screening to ensure the correct treatment and advice is given. Find out more about our treatment approaches to headache on our website at worthingosteopathy.com